- chatty coworker: i know that it's a huge turn off for me when a guy takes me home and his place is filthy. jay, would you ever take a girl home to a messy house?
- me [distracted]: jay's not taking any girls home.
- chatty coworker: who are you taking home then, jay?
- jay: jesus.
- Dan: Didn't fancy my sandwiches?
- Alice: Don't eat fish.
- Dan: Why not?
- Alice: Fish piss in the sea.
- Dan: So do children.
- Alice: Don't eat children either.
Days will come and go. Both happiness and despair are fleeting, and chances are that what you are feeling in this moment will not be present by tomorrow. At the time, an emotion may seem like the only thing which exists. It can feel all-consuming, but the truth is that it is only another sentiment. This too shall pass; and it always does. If you are going through a difficult time, remind yourself of this. Eventually it will be just another memory behind you. And if you are content for now, hold on to that. Everything passes. Nothing is permanent. Embrace the good and make it worth remembering; Know that the bad will not linger forever.
There are times when I keep reassuring myself with words like these, and they do help, but then the darker days return. I just want those dark days to be gone.